I had a craving for crispy oven fried chicken so after some googling, I thought I would give this recipe a try. Please note that I’ve adapted and changed some ingredients around as that is what I had on my shelves. I’m not too sure if the substitution made it not so great or if its because the oven was too cold. Anyways I’m going to really modify this recipe
I buy my chicken cheap. That means I butcher them into individual pieces. This pack should be 3 meals + stock for 2 people. Would anyone else be interested in a breakdown? I love showing off how cheap I am!
Anyways get some chicken and drege them in flour. I chilled mine afterward as I read somewhere that it helps the crispiness. [Okay so its the airing process that helps but only with baking powder and at least overnight. :(] I mixed my chicken with a dash of cayenne pepper but that had no effect what so ever on the final product.
At this time you should have a system set up. Pull out your bowls! Dose them in egg whites and coat them in Panko bread crumbs for extra crispyness. Flavour with paprika.
After all that work and tons of bowls to wash, you end up with a not so happy looking chickens. For some reason they don’t brown well. I think its because I undercooked them. Maybe its because I forgot to add the oil to the bottom of the pan. Maybe I should stick to marinating meat before cooking them.
I served them with gravy for taste but then they lost their crispiness! NOOOOO
This one is an epic fail 😦
- 6 chicken legs
- Leftover Egg whites (6 were used, this was two too many)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Dash of Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (totally forgot about this)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place flour in a shallow plate or bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste. Put the bread crumbs in another shallow plate or bowl and beat the eggs in another bowl.
- Dredge the chicken piece by piece in the flour, then the egg, then the bread crumbs, until all pieces are coated. Pour the oil into a 9×13 inch baking dish. Add the chicken to the dish and sprinkle with paprika to taste. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, then turn pieces over and bake for another 30 minutes. Remove from oven and drain on paper towels. Enjoy!